History

The History of Compagnia Portuale di Livorno

The history of Compagnia Portuale di Livorno is closely tied to the workers who have contributed to its success. Founded in 1947, it has played a crucial role in the economic, social, and cultural development of Livorno for more than seventy years.

Over the years, it has adeptly adapted to changes and new demands in logistics and shipping, recognizing the importance of diversifying its cargo. The company has invested in new facilities, such as yards and warehouses, and has simultaneously focused on developing human resources, training the necessary skills to handle emerging innovations.

Evolutions Over Time

In the late 1980s, a period of profound changes for Italian companies due to the introduction of the Prandini Decrees and the beginning of discussions on the reform law 84/94, Compagnia Portuale di Livorno played a crucial role in the reorganization of the Port of Livorno.

 

Specifically, it entered into agreements with other operators and participated in tender processes that enabled it to become an integral part of various port terminals. Through a new company named CILP, it obtained the concession of the Deep-Sea Terminal.

 

As a result, CPL became a service provider for activities related to the port operations of loading and unloading goods, and for services under Article 16 for the various terminals in which it participates.

Historic Partnerships

Throughout its many decades of operation, Compagnia Portuale di Livorno has established partnership and collaboration relationships with prestigious port operators, shipowners, and investors, both Italian and international.

 

All partnerships have always been initiated with the aim of increasing port traffic, and with it, local employment and the economy; this has contributed to its visibility among all global carriers, enabling the Port of Livorno to achieve excellence and lead in commodities such as forestry products, automobiles, ro-ro, and containers.

The Portuale Palace

The Casa del Portuale, known as the Palazzo del Portuale, is one of the iconic buildings of the city’s waterfront and post-war reconstruction era (1949-1953). Commissioned by the Compagnia Lavoratori Portuali, the palace was built in an area drastically altered by pre-war clearances (when the Bagno dei forzati was demolished to construct the Government Palace) and subsequent bombings. The design of the current palace was crafted by Salghetti-Drioli, who navigated the problematic relationship between historic architectural language (in this case, referencing the Old Fortress with its brick facing and slightly inclined walls) and modern styles.

Located in the historic and administrative center of the city, it has since been used for the operational and service activities of Compagnia Portuale di Livorno, as well as for community use, featuring a cinema hall and a conference room.